Y Corff Llywodraethol / Polisiau Ysgol
Governor's Annual Report 2022
Click here to read the Governors Annual Report to parents.
Aims and Standards
The purpose of each Governing Body is to help the school provide the best possible education for its pupils. It is accountable to those who fund the school and also the parents and wider community too for the way it carries out its functions. It acts at all times in accordance with appropriate legislation and with the principles laid down by the Committee on Standards in Public Life. It also acts fairly and without prejudice.
The Role of Governors
Governors are not involved in the day to day running of the school, rather their role is strategic and to steer the school. They are to act as a critical friend who offers support, constructive advice but also challenge through asking questions and seeking to arrive at the best solution for all concerned.
The Governing Body acts as a group but its strength lies in the talents of its members and their ability to work as a team. Governors are elected or appointed by different groups – including parents, teachers and others within the community.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Helping to formulate the aims and objectives of the school and reviewing how far they are being achieved
- Making, ratifying and reviewing policies
- Overseeing the school’s finances
- Overseeing the curriculum, the teaching and learning programme and school development plan
- Ensuring that good provision is made for pupils with special educational needs
- Dealing with appointment, development, pay and discipline of staff
- Ensuring there is good discipline in the school
- Equal opportunities for all pupils
- Receiving and acting upon inspection reports
- Setting annual targets and providing an annual report to parents on the work of the governing body
Unless determined otherwise, the decisions of the whole governing body are public, however the views of individual governors are private. Governors meet twice a term and minutes of Governors Meetings are available from the school office. The school newsletter will also give an overview of key areas discussed.
Background Information and Related Links
Please click on the links below for more information:
If you would like to become a Governor
If you would like to become a Governor please contact the Head Teacher to indicate your interest and to talk about the role. You are also very welcome to contact any of the serving Governors to find out more.